Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I went in for an ortho appt. today - supposedly to be fitted for Tray 4. Just as I suspected, when I told the ortho that my front two buttons never made it into the holes, they asked me to continue wearing Tray 3...for THREE MORE WEEKS. Needless to say, I was very disappointed.

I am still very confused about this button problem. I really hate to keep questioning my ortho and his assistant about this, but the recommendation of "waiting until my buttons move into the holes" just doesn't seem logical to me. In looking at the placement of the buttons in relation to the windows I just can't see how this will happen.

Before I left the office today, my ortho slenderized both sides of the two "stubborn" teeth (as they called them). They also gave me some cotton rolls to bite down on, which are supposed to help the teeth to sink into the aligners. Again, I just don't see how this will work, since the aligners fit tightly on my front two teeth, which means that there is no space below them that will allow the aligners to move up any, regardless of what I'm biting down on (see previously posted pictures for a visual). I continued to ask them for an explanation of how this would be accomplished, and I also asked if the button problem could possibly be a result of the trays being made incorrectly by the OrthoClear lab. The assistant said that they have seen this happen with other patients, and she assured me that, "at times, certain teeth just don't want to move." She said that the slenderizing often helps. I have to say that at this point, I'm not so convinced. I would LOVE to be wrong about this. I recall some similar posts from another OrthoClear wearer, Christine, who said that her button problems were finally resolved. I just hope I'm as fortunate.

If any of you out there have any suggestions/advice, please feel free to chime in. Thanks, guys.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

My advice: If you don't see any progress with tooth movement within a week, go back and insist they let you try the next set of trays. I had the same problem with the ill-fitting button, but my next set fit perfectly.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Southerngal08 said...

Thanks, Tamara. I've been using the cotton rolls, and one of the buttons did finally pop into place. The other one hasn't quite made it yet, but it does look like it's a little closer. :) I do plan to contact my ortho about the other button (they told me to get back with them in two weeks if both buttons aren't fitting right.) I'll be sure to keep you posted.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home